Thursday 3 January 2013

Thrifty Thursday - DIY Eyebrows: E.L.F Brow Kit Review

Afternoon everyone!
This week my Eyebrow Collection from E.L.F Cosmetics arrived prompting me to test the kit ASAP!
 
Ever since the likes of TOWIE, Desperate Scousewives and Keeping Up With The Kardashians hit our screens the Power Brow seems to have hit the faces of everyone worth noticing; from Rita Ora to Cara Delevigne to Camilla Belle:
 
 
 
Having never taken much notice of my little caterpillars before, the thought of them being the centre of attention is a little daunting. Usually, I'd prefer to wear a casual smokey eye during the day NOT huge eyebrows accentuating my every emotion; but I'll give it a go anyway.
 
So this is the kit:
 
 
 
£6 from E.L.F Cosmetics it is a wonderful bargain considering it costs me £6 a week/fortnight to get my eyebrows waxed. The kit comes complete with 4 stencils (which are a little bit flimsy so take care when taking them apart from each other), tweezers, eyebrow brush, setting mascara, eyebrow gel and powder.
 
If, like me, you're a D.I.Y-brow-virgin do not fear! The instructions on the back are pretty simple. The only other extra thing I'd suggest is having an eyebrow pencil which is the right shade for your skin tone as the gel and powder in the kit are extremely light. If you want the power brow I would suggest something much darker.
 
So what do you think? This is my attempt at at the very thick 'Full Arch' (excuse the duck face - it's a natural reaction when a camera appears):
 
 
 
It was Ok but didn't seem to suit my face. I have naturally large eyes which were automatically shrunk by the thickness of the Full Arch. So I tried again - this time with the 'Soft Arch':
 
 
 
Seemed a nicer shape but still a little too thick. So then I started improvising and reduced the size by a fraction to come up with my finished shape. To finalise the look I used the gel and powder to make sure the colour was slightly more natural than just black:
 
 
 
Altogether my eyebrow efforts took approxiamtely 45 minutes! Not very efficient if you're in a rush to get to work but seems Ok if you're getting ready to party - a LOT of wine can be consumed in 45 minutes!
Overall, though, the kit was the perfect first step to doing your own eyebrows. The stencils, like I said, are rather flimsy but there is an arch to suit most faces. The gel isn't dark enough for my colouring but the powder is the perfect shade and texture to make them look natural after using a dark pencil. Very pleased that I am now on the Brow-Wagon and it won't cost me an absolute fortune!
 
What do you think? Anyone got any brow tips for me?
 
@sheldan2207 or comment below
 
xoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment